PROS & CONS OF CERAMIC BRACES BY ASHEVILLE ORTHODONTIST
BY TS ORTHODONTICS … Asheville NC’s Favorite Family Orthodontist
Ceramic braces are a common alternative to metal braces, although they aren’t recommended for severe cases. Ceramic braces can be a beautiful alternative to metal braces if your Asheville orthodontist recommends them.
Ceramic braces were introduced back in the 1980s when the idea for less visible braces came about. Contrary to popular belief, ceramic brackets are tough and don’t stain as easily as they used to thanks to continuing product development and technological advances.
Back in the day, plastic brackets were used for invisible braces, but plastic is porous so it tends to stain more easily. The ceramic composite they use now solves that pesky problem, making ceramic braces a great option.
Benefits of Ceramic Braces
- Some say that ceramic braces are less painful because they don’t irritate the gums.
- Ceramic braces either have semi-translucent ceramic brackets, which are better for very white teeth, or tooth-colored ceramic, which is better for slightly darker teeth. Either way, they blend in well.
- Ceramic braces are strong, especially if they are high-quality. They usually don’t chip or break unless they are badly abused.
Drawbacks of Ceramic Braces
- Ceramic brackets are more expensive than metal brackets. They are also bigger, but they blend in with teeth so this isn’t an issue for most patients.
- Like traditional metal braces, ceramic braces use clear or white ligatures to hold the archwire in place. The ligatures are little rubber bands, so they can stain because they’re porous. They’re changed at every adjustment.
- Because ceramic brackets can’t withstand as much pressure as metal brackets can, ceramic braces are not recommended for people who need extensive treatment.
Sapphire Braces (Or Clear Braces)
Clear braces are also called sapphire braces and they are recommended for people with very white teeth. The braces blend in and basically disappear on the teeth. They are strong and generally don’t stain, although the ligatures are slightly prone to stains especially if you drink coffee, smoke, or drink red wine regularly.
Sometimes metal braces just aren’t what you’re looking for, and ceramic braces are a great alternative! Here at TS Orthodontics, we can determine the best fit for your needs with a complimentary smile analysis. We offer a lot to our patients including same-day appointments and after-school and after-work appointments so you don’t have to disrupt your whole life to straighten your smile.
Give us a call today at 828.254.4602 and let us help you make your smile shine as brightly as it should!
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
ABOUT TS ORTHODONTICS OF ASHEVILLE, NC
At TS Orthodontics in Asheville NC, we take great pride in providing you the best treatment options by having the most advanced technology available. With TS Orthodontics you can enjoy treatment times up to 29% faster than with traditional metal braces. We provide so many options from Invisalign® to SureSmile to even braces placed behind your teeth. During a 100% no-obligation and 100% free TS Orthodontics Smile Analysis we will assess yours or your child’s unique mouth.
When you are ready, click here to schedule your TS Orthodontics Smile Analysis which includes a comprehensive exam, personalized consultation, x-rays, and even 3-d computer modeling ($249 value, yours free).