THE PROS & CONS OF CERAMIC BRACES BY ASHEVILLE, NC ORTHODONTIST
TS ORTHODONTICS … Asheville, NC’s Favorite Family Orthodontist
Though ceramic braces aren’t recommended for extreme cases, they are comparable to traditional metal braces. If your orthodontist says ceramic braces are a good option for you, they can be a wonderful alternative to traditional metal braces.
The idea for braces being less obvious gained popularity in the 1980s, hence, ceramic braces were inceptualized. Like with most products, they weren’t perfect in the beginning, so the kinks needed to be worked out, so to speak. Thanks to technological advances and product development, ceramic braces no longer stain the way they used to and can withstand the pressure required to straighten teeth.
Before ceramic braces, plastic brackets were used. Because plastic is porous, it stained easily. This is no longer an issue as a ceramic composite is now used and works extremely well.
The Pros Of Ceramic Braces
- It’s been said that ceramic braces don’t irritate the gums as much as traditional metal braces do. This is a matter of patient opinion and pain tolerance varies from one person to the next, but it’s encouraging.
- Ceramic brackets are designed to blend in well with the teeth. There are two basic shades, one white and one slightly darker to match tooth color.
- Unless abused, ceramic braces are strong and don’t usually chip or break.
The Cons Of Ceramic Braces
- Just like traditional metal braces, ceramic braces use elastic bands to hold the archwire in place, usually in clear or white. This material is porous, so it can stain.
- The brackets are more expensive. They also tend to be a bit larger, but they aren’t visible so this usually isn’t an issue for the patient.
- Not recommended for extensive treatment. Though ceramic braces can withstand a lot, they aren’t quite suited for some of the more extensive treatments some people need.
What Are Sapphire Braces?
Clear braces are also referred to as sapphire braces. Clear braces are recommended for people with very white teeth and they basically disappear. They’re very strong and the only part that might stain is the elastic bands, but usually that doesn’t happen unless you smoke or drink a lot of red wine or coffee. Even then, they may not stain at all with proper oral hygiene.
Are ceramic braces the right kind for your orthodontic needs? We won’t know for sure unless you call us at 828.254.4602 to schedule a complimentary Smile Analysis. Our work is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee and we offer a number of patient benefits, such as before or after work hours, same day appointments, short wait times, and the latest technology.
Don’t you deserve the best smile we can give you? TS Orthodontics is proud to offer you the shortest distance to a great smile. Call us today – we’re here to help!
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
ABOUT TS ORTHODONTICS OF ASHEVILLE, NC
At TS Orthodontics in Asheville NC, we take great pride in providing you the best treatment options by having the most advanced technology available. With TS Orthodontics you can enjoy treatment times up to 29% faster than with traditional metal braces. We provide so many options from Invisalign® to SureSmile to even braces placed behind your teeth. During a 100% no-obligation and 100% free TS Orthodontics Smile Analysis we will assess yours or your child’s unique mouth.
TS Orthodontics in Asheville NC understands the importance of making braces affordable. That is why we offer affordable payment plans for braces with 0% down!
When you are ready, click here to schedule your TS Orthodontics Smile Analysis which includes a comprehensive exam, personalized consultation, x-rays, and even 3-d computer modeling ($249 value, yours free).